Saturday, October 5, 2013

Not so Green thumb....

Good morning ya'll! Happy Saturday! Most of you are just beginning to enjoy your first day of the weekend, while mine ended yesterday. As you read this I will be at boot camp, and then off to a full day of making people beautiful. My favorite thing!

Yesterday I was a busy bee and started my garden. I had been contemplating starting a garden for about 3 years now. However, in Arizona our ground is really hard to dig into (and unforgiving/drying on our plants). You are really only able to plant 6 weeks out of the year, once in the spring and once in the fall.

So my solution was a pallet garden. I found a lonely abandoned pallet in a business park near my house. I got lucky as it was labeled "HT-" (heat treated) so there are no yucky chemicals. I purchased my little plants from Whole Food for a smoking deal of $1.99 each, the mulch was $3.60 a bag (I used 1 & 1/2), and the Weed blocker was the most expensive thing at $6 at Home Depot. So I am now the proud owner of a gorgeous little garden for under $20!

Pallet Garden Steps In Pictures
Supplies!
Heat Treated Pallet
Weed Blocker/Ground Covering
Dirt/Mulch/Organic Growing Material
Staple Gun
Plants
& Of course, Your Muscles!

 1. Staple your weed blocker/ground cover to the back side of the pallet. This would be the side that has the least openings. My "back side" had only  two openings. So my front has 4 :)

 3. Get your muscles out and fill it in with your growing dirt!

4. Plant your green babies! 

And of course having a helper always make it more fun. Here's my helper...
Meet Sadie! She's a little old and only has one eye, but she gives lots of kisses and likes to nose around in the dirt too. 

Do you garden? Have you thought about growing any vegetables or herbs for your family? What's your favorite thing to grow?

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend! Please send me some positive vibes for work tomorrow, I was out sick two days last week and have some making up to do.

As Always, 
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS